Friday, July 17, 2009

I'm gonna be sore tomorrow!

So, I had my first training session today-- they ask you to do 30 minutes of cardio before you start, so I walked 3M (sub 14 min) on our hilly roads, then went in. They had me doing some circuit training: 10 minutes on the elliptical (they have several different types, including the cross training kind so you can go forwards and backwards) followed by 2 upper body strength moves (i.e. chest presses with bar 3 x 15 reps followed by lat pulldowns 3 x 15) and then repeat- so a total of 40 minutes of cardio (they did have me on the TM once-- more on that later) and 6 different focused sets of upper body.

They also had me work my quads, and did 12 minutes of ab workout on the Bosu ball. Then, she stretched me out afterward and asked how I liked everything. I told her (the owner) that I did not want to do any TM while I was there, so I could keep my running separate from the stretches and strength training, which she said was fine.

The cardio portions she told me were all designed to help with the quads as well, as they were all hill workouts of different intensities. I was there for 90 minutes, so coupled with my 41 minute walk it was a good morning! I am anticipating feeling VERY sore tomorrow, but liked what they had me do. Of course I could do most of it on my own in a gym, but having someone set the weights, program the elliptical/cross trainer and of course, lead the ab exercises was key, as was the stretching she did on me at the end.

I found out that when you are currently in a training program at this place, you can use all of there cardio equipment when you want, and they have a 20 minute ab session every other hour that anyone can drop in on, as well as spinning, yoga, and cardio-push (interval cardio class) classes. So, I just have to keep at it at home.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow.....

No comments: