Saturday, June 28, 2008

Unique and Important Run

Thursday I did speedwork for the 1st time since the marathon. Did it on the treadmill, which I have decided is going to be my 'necessary evil' for speed/tempo running. Did 1 mile warmup, then 1 x 600, 1 x 700, 1 x 800, 1 x 700, 1 x 600, all at paces between 6:58 and 6:49. Felt great during, and the knee did not hurt. Have been doing weight training 2x a week, and will add another day or two of ten minutes of core work to the routine. Am getting frustrated that it is taking so long to lose this weight.

I had a very interesting run yesterday.

Started out on a soft trail I like to run longer runs on, and was planning to do 8M today, did my first speedwork since the marathon on Thursday and wanted to see how the knee would feel after the speedwork. I had my fuel belt on, which drives me crazy, but with the humidity at 3:00 this afternoon, was a necessary evil.

So, after the 1st two miles, my right knee was hurting, not aching, but hurting. I was pissed, and stopped to walk a bit. I ran two more miles, then started thinking "what the hell am I doing, I can't get hurt at this stage" and then walked another 1/4 mile or so, and was going to call it a day. So, I got back to my car, ditched the fuel belt and these little IT Band straps I wear on my knees (VERY sexy, BTW) and decided to at least get a good walk in. I started running again after a little bit, the knee felt better. I ended up doing six more miles, for a total of 10, and the knee felt great!

Obviously an unique run, but also important for two reasons:
1) I was willing/able to STOP when the knee hurt, and
2) Gave it a second chance and stuck with the run, albeit at a walk/run pace for the first 4 miles.

Overall pace was 9:31, which also was surprising and motivating. Knee feels good today!

Went out for sushi w/DH last night-- yummy dinner and good chat. Mistake was going to the Club for another drink. Oh well.

Boys have a b-day party later today, and we are going to Church in awhile. Yucky weather, nice lazy day.

No comments: