Sunday, September 7, 2008

Ikea Half Marathon RR

Yesterday I ran the Ikea 1/2 marathon. I have been wanting to do this race for a few years, and realized that for the past 5 years we have been out of town this particular weekend in September. Either at the Outer Banks or ND games. So, I was pretty fired up to run the course, as I hear it is very flat.

I really did not taper (at all) for this race, other than the fact that I only ran 4 out of the 7 days prior to the race, and the LR last weekend was 14 miles, and did 10 Tuesday, and 6 (w/2@tempo) Thursday. So, I had originally set a goal of 7:45-7:50 pace. Well, it was humid Saturday morning, and I did not sleep very well, so I readjusted my goal to 8:00 min/mile. Came in at 1:45:09, 8:02 pace. It was HARD.

The first mile is all downhill (7:02 or something), then you go on the Montour Trail for 6 miles slightly uphill, then 6 miles coming back. My mile splits were between 8:15-7:39, but again, it felt HARD. I realized that since I really put a good deal of stock into my races, and they do take time away from the family on the weekends, that unless I am doing one as a training run for a marathon, I am only going to do goal races during hockey season. So, the next one will be the Butler Trail 1/2 marathon on 10/18, which is in 6 weeks, and right before Disney, then the Turkey Trot, then I'll gear up for marathon training for Boston!

After the race was another story. I ended up getting 3rd in my AG, but had some SERIOUS GI issues walking up the hill, so did not stay. UGH. Double UGH.

Today I am sore, and still need to get caught up on my sleep. Hopefully tonight.

I ordered Pfitz's 'other' book, and will most likely adapt one of his marathon programs for the last six weeks until the Butler race. The weather will undoubtedly be less humid, so that will help a great deal.

TTFN!

No comments: